Monday, September 7, 2009

Pet Peeves (1)

On my computer desk I have a fair selection of different devices:- multiple computers, disk drives, router, USB hubs and so on. Far too many of these things have the power switch on the back.

This means whenever I have to switch anything on or off, I have to reach round there, where I can't see and where all the cables are (including the power cable from which I could theoretically get a nasty shock!) to find and use the switch. The switches are never the same type or in the same place, so I'm always fumbling away there, blindly poking around, until I find it.

Worst is the Mac Mini, with its tiny little invisible button, and the external hardrive which goes with it. The hardrive is designed to look the same as the Mini, and to sit under it, and its power button is also a tiny inisible button. But it's in the middle of the device, and so completely masked by the cables going above it into the Mini itself. I literally have to push a finger between the Mac Mini cables to find the power button for the hard drive.

So, hardware designers, please.... power switches on the front, where you can see them and use them safely!

[Cousin to this issue, is the device with a hard wired power lead and no power switch at all, which you can only turn off by unpluggin it at the mains! WTF?]

No comments:

Post a Comment